By Dom Calicchio | Fox News
Since Donald Trump became president, the Dow Jones industrial average has climbed to 25,000 and fewer Americans are unemployed.
Another interesting fact: The number of people collecting food stamps has declined by more than two million.
Data released by the Department of Agriculture show that the number of participants in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), otherwise known as food stamps, dropped to 42,182,443 for fiscal 2017 – a decline of 2,036,920 from the fiscal 2016 total of 44,219,363.
USDA figures since show that the program has gone from costing taxpayers about $250 million for about 2.8 million recipients in 1969, under President Richard Nixon, to a peak of costing nearly $80 billion for nearly 48 million recipients in 2013, under President Barack Obama.
The numbers have declined since then, in part because of the booming economy and because some states have restored work requirements needed to qualify for SNAP, Fox News reported. In many cases the work requirements had been waived because of the recession of 2007-09.
Thousands of people have dropped off the food stamp rolls in Georgia as a result of the state implementing work requirements for food stamp recipients.
More than half of the 11,779 people enrolled for food stamps in 21 counties, an estimated 7,251 people, have dropped out of the food stamp program—a drop of 62 percent, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
Georgia first rolled out its work requirements for the food stamp program in three counties in January 2016. Since then, the state has expanded work requirements in an additional 21 counties, giving people in those 21 counties until April 1, 2017 to find a job or lose food stamp benefits.
Those who receive benefits must work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in state-approved job training, or volunteer for a state-approved non-profit or charity.
State officials say the plan is to extend the work requirements to all 159 counties in Georgia by 2019 and implement work requirements in 60 more counties, starting in 2018.
- Before Maine dropped its waiver in 2014, there were 13,332 food stamp recipients. By March 2015, the number of food stamp recipients dropped by 80 percent, to 2,678 recipients who decided to get a job, participate in job training, or volunteer
( Breitbart by) President Donald Trump’s 2018 budget will save $190 billion over the next ten years by requiring able-bodied adults to work to receive food stamps.
President Trump wrote in his letter to Congress, “We must reform our welfare system so that it does not discourage able-bodied adults from working, which takes away scarce resources from those in real need. Work must be the center of our social policy
White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said at a press conference, “If you’re on food stamps and you’re able-bodied, then we need you to go to work.”
The number of recipients on food stamps skyrocketed recently, 50 million Americans now receive food stamps and use Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards at grocery or convenience store to buy food and drinks. The 50 million citizens on food stamps amount to 15 percent of the population, a substantial increase from the 17 million Americans who received food stamps in 2000.
Food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), cost taxpayers more than $83 billion a year. The government remains unable to rein in costs, because the government does not have statistics as to how much food stamp recipients spend on kitchen staples such as meat and vegetables, compared to soda, candy, and potato chips.
A 2011 study confirmed that food stamp recipients spend more money on candy compared to any other food item.
Robert Rector, a welfare expert at the Heritage Foundation, said that requiring work for food stamps was at the “core” of welfare reform in the 1990s. President Trump is “picking the gauntlet off the ground where the Republican party dropped it.”
Trump’s budget would require states to fund one dollar for every four dollars the federal government spends on food stamps.
Read more: Trump Budget Requires Work for Food Stamps
( Milo ) Illegal immigrants are reportedly canceling their food stamps en masse over fears of being deported, reports the Washington Post.
In an article titled “Immigrants are going hungry so Trump won’t deport them,” WaPo writer Caitlin Dewey cites New York-based SNAP Outreach Coordinator Luisa Fortin whose clients are “spooked by the political climate.”
The article reads:
Since mid-January, five of Fortin’s families have withdrawn from the SNAP program. Based on calls she gets from other clients, she fears more cancellations are imminent.
WaPo goes on to point out that Luisa’s food bank in Chattanooga is not the only one in the country experiencing a downturn in SNAP users.
In the two months since President Trump’s inauguration, food banks and hunger advocates around the country have noticed a decline in the number of eligible immigrants applying for SNAP – and an uptick in immigrants seeking to withdraw from the program.
Many apparently fear that participation in SNAP will catch Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s attention.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture reports that 1.5 million illegal immigrants used food stamps in 2015.
WELFARE FRAUD BY WIFE OF MILLIONAIRE LAWYER IN WASHINGTON D.C. BUSTED – Helen Agbapuruonwu arrested!
- “Virginia Woman Charged With Welfare Fraud For Collecting Benefits While Husband Earned Millions • Helen Agbapuruonwu collected over $100,000 in benefits over six years while her husband was working at a D.C. law firm”
( NBC Washington ) An Arlington woman was arrested this week and charged with four counts of welfare fraud for collecting over $100,000 in benefits – all while her husband was a high-earning attorney in D.C., police say.
Police say a six-month investigation into Helen Agbapuruonwu, 41, found that the mother of four had collected benefits like food stamps and Medicaid assistance for the past six years.
While Helen was collecting benefits, her husband, Fidelis Agbapuruonwu, was earning $1.5 million per year as a lawyer, according to court documents obtained by News4.
In 2001, Fidelis received the prestigious Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship which helped pay his way through law school.
Fidelis’ LinkedIn page claims he works for the D.C. firm of Mayer Brown, but today the firm said he no longer works there. Court officials believe Fidelis, a Nigerian immigrant, has “fled the country and is somewhere in Africa.”
Con’t Reading Original Article, “Virginia Woman Charged With Welfare Fraud For Collecting Benefits While Husband Earned Millions • Helen Agbapuruonwu collected over $100,000 in benefits over six years while her husband was working at a D.C. law firm”
SCARY! CHARLOTTE OFFICIALS TO LOOTERS AND RIOTERS: KEEP IT UP AND YOU PERMANENTLY LOSE YOUR GOVT. WELFARE AND FOOD STAMPS….UH OH! THEY CAN’T LOOT AND HAVE FOOD STAMPS TOO!
Charlotte officials finally came up with an idea on how to stop rioters and looters from destroying more businesses in Charlotte, North Carolina. Keep it up and you PERMANENTLY lose your welfare and food stamps.
The Baltimore Gazette reported:
CHARLOTTE OFFICIALS TO RIOTERS – ANYONE CAUGHT LOOTING WILL HAVE WELFARE AND FOOD STAMPS REVOKED FOR LIFE
According to multiple reports, city officials have announced new measures in an effort to curb the violence sweeping Charlotte since the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. Any individuals caught rioting, looting, destroying property or otherwise reacting in a violent and unlawful manner will have their government benefits permanently revoked.
According to the local affiliate WBTC, the punishment also applies to minors who might be participating in the ongoing melee. Parents of underage individuals who are captured while engaging in criminal activities related to the rioting will be held fully accountable, and could risk losing state benefits, as well as the custody of their child.
“Parents are responsible for their children. If they are allowing them to engage in lawless behaviors there will be consequences for them as parents.” Charlotte City Official, Wilson Stewart, told reporters during the 30 minute press conference.