Update: Facebook blames ‘technical glitch’
(CNA/EWTN News).- In the last 24 hours more than twenty Catholic pages, some with millions of followers, have been blocked by Facebook for unknown reasons.
Of the known affected pages, 21 are based in Brazil, and four are English-language pages, with administrators in the U.S. and Africa. Most of the blocked pages had significant followings – between hundreds of thousands and up to 6 million followers each.
One of the blocked English-language fanpages was “Jesus and Mary”, which had 1.7 million followers. The page’s main cover photo was of the sacred hearts of Jesus and Mary.
Page administrator Godwin Delali Adadzie, a Ghanaian, told CNA he was on Facebook around 8 p.m. Central July 17 when he was asked to upload a photo of himself because his personal account had been “suspected of suspicious activities,” he said.
After several minutes, he was allowed back into his personal account, which had notifications informing him that his “Jesus and Mary” page had been disabled. He said every person who was approved as an editor on his page had to go through the same process.
Adadzie said he reviewed Facebook’s policies “and, honestly, I do not see any that I have violated in order for my page to be withdrawn.”
He has sent two appeals to Facebook but has yet to get a response.
Another blocked English-language page is “Catholic and Proud”, which had 6 million followers. Page administrator Kenneth Alimba of Nigeria told CNA his page was also blocked without explanation.
He has sent appeals to Facebook but is “not optimistic” about a response. He also told CNA that he noticed other Catholic Facebook pages that he runs, with fewer followers, are still online.
What the! Actor William Shatner posted on twitter how he was reported on Facebook by a member of his Facebook Group for asking this:
Twitter users gave their own possible explanation why Shatner’s question was ‘offensive:
- It’s not polite to call people everyone.
- EveryONE is not inclusive of people with multiple personalities.
- “How”is a Native American term and it is completely culturally inappropriate for you to hijack it!No wonder they were offended!Shame on you!
- Hate speech in its purest form
A man has been arrested on suspicion of posting an offensive Facebook post about the London Finsbury Park attack.
Police said a 37-year-old, believed to be the son of an owner of the Rhondda Cynon Taff company whose van was used in Monday’s attack, is in custody.
Richard Evans allegedly posted: “It’s a shame they don’t hire out steam rollers or tanks could have done a tidy job then.”
WOMAN, 70, CHARGED WITH HATE CRIME FOR FACEBOOK POST: ‘MIGRANTS DEFECATE IN STREETS AND SET CARS ON FIRE’
A 70-year-old woman is charged with hate crime in Sweden because she posted on Facebook that Muslim migrants ‘defecate in streets and set cars on fire.’ So what if it’s true! That’s racist, right libs? In Sweden, be careful what you post on your Facebook about the Muslim migrants or else you could end up going to jail for up to four years for hate crime. The migrants are the protected and new beloved residents in Sweden and if you have a problem with that, you’re just being racist so shut up.
From FriaTider :
A 70-year-old woman in Dalarna is charged with hateful people since Facebook wrote that immigrants fulfill their needs in the streets, writes DT.se.
According to the prosecution, the woman via Facebook should have expressed disdain on people with a foreign background.
In a post from 2015, she has written that immigrants “fire cars and kisses and go to the streets”.
This violates the law in the face of the public, says the prosecutor.
The prosecuted woman has acknowledged that she wrote the post, but denied that she had committed a criminal act.
As proof of the 70-year-old woman there is a screenshot from Facebook.
The penalty for hatred against the people’s group is imprisonment for a maximum of two years or, in the event of a fine, fines. If the crime is considered to be grossly convicted, the accused is sentenced to imprisonment for at least six months and no more than four years.
( NY Post ) A video of a knock-down, drag-out brawl at a Denny’s in Albany has gone viral — racking up more than 2.5 million views on Facebook after it was posted online by a popular comedian known as “Nick Nack Pattiwhack.”
“What is you doing, baby?! I didn’t even get my food yet, baby!” the Louisiana native can be heard saying, as plates and punches fly in all directions.
“We live, baby! Yea!” he adds.
Authorities confirmed Sunday that the fight took place early Saturday at around 4:20 a.m. at the Denny’s off of Wolf Road in Colonie, according to the Albany Times Union.
No arrests were made and no one was ticketed, cops said.
The melee was caught on tape by Nick Joseph, aka “Nick Nack Pattiwhack,” who was at the restaurant with his famous side-kick, Dan Rue.
The jokesters, both from Baton Rouge, are known for their crazy antics and online videos — which include joking around in celebrities houses and public places. They’ve coined a slew of catchphrases, such as “We live, baby!” and “That’s the one, Danielson!”
Pattiwhack uses several of them in the fight video, which starts out with the pair inside Denny’s as tension begins to escalate between two groups of people.
For some unknown reason, punches are eventually thrown — with plates breaking and silverware flying everywhere — while Pattiwhack performs his shtick and watches the drama unfold.
“Oh, baby! They live, baby!” he says, unfazed by the battle going down inside the Denny’s.
“What is you doing, baby?! Oh no, baby!”
At one point, Pattiwhack musters up the courage to go over to where a trio of girls are fighting and grabs his drink off the table next to them. The move has garnered him some hate on social media, with many condemning him for not jumping in to stop the violence.
“I can’t believe u didn’t save some one,” wrote one Facebook user. “Smh peter Pipe a f–k u!!! That ain’t cool.”
Another added, “Real talk…This wasnt cool or funny at all. I like you two guys, yall make me laugh but this is sad seeing grown folks especially black women acting like hoodlums and you promoting it.”
The McDonald’s employees who called the cops on the Facebook killer are going to get the $50,000 reward … at least if law enforcement has its way.
We spoke with local and federal law enforcement officials who tell us … they believe the employees were the lynchpin that caused cops to corner Steve Stephens in Erie, PA. As you know, Stephens killed himself.
As for the reward, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson said, “There is an award up to $50,000 for the arrest of Mr. Steve Stephens. The money comes from the FBI, ATF and U.S. Marshal Service.”
Sticklers could argue no one should get the award because Stephens wasn’t arrested, but there have been similar cases over the years where law enforcement determined the reward conditions were met.
The law enforcement officials with whom we spoke say it’s clear … the McDonald’s employees made the difference. They spotted Stephens and stalled him at the drive-thru so cops could make their move.
We’re told so far there have been no official meetings on the reward, but it sounds like the employees are in for a big surprise.
( Daily Caller ) Facebook officials said they will not punish any employees who choose to take off work May 1 to protest President Donald Trump.
“At Facebook, we’re committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where employees feel comfortable expressing their opinions and speaking up,” a representative told Bloomberg. “We support our people in recognizing International Workers’ Day and other efforts to raise awareness for safe and equitable employment conditions.”
Facebook told staff about its policy April 14, specifically clarifying that no prior notification of leave is necessary. The social media company-turned-tech-conglomerate also notified workers that it would investigate any of its contractors to decipher if they inappropriately violate workers’ rights