Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Crime and Terrorism Subcommittee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Sens. John Cornyn (R-TX), and Tom Tillis (R-NC) sent a letter Thursday to Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein calling for the appointment of a special counsel.
Washington Examiner – President Trump took a shot at the Justice Department on Saturday after the agency failed to turn over documents by a Thursday subpoena deadline set by the House Judiciary Committee regarding the FBI’s decision making during the 2016 presidential election.
“Lawmakers of the House Judiciary Committee are angrily accusing the Department of Justice of missing the Thursday Deadline for turning over UNREDACTED Documents relating to FISA abuse, FBI, Comey, Lynch, McCabe, Clinton Emails and much more,” Trump said, referring to former FBI Director James Comey, ex-Attorney General Loretta Lynch, and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, who was recently fired. “Slow walking – what is going on? BAD!” Trump added.
“What does the Department of Justice and FBI have to hide?” Trump said in a follow-up tweet. “Why aren’t they giving the strongly requested documents (unredacted) to the HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE? Stalling, but for what reason? Not looking good!”
Grassley, Graham, Cornyn, Tillis Request Second Special Counsel to Examine DOJ and FBI Actions on Trump-Russia Probe
Four Republican senators are joining two House committee chairmen in calling for a second special counsel to examine the Justice Department and the FBI’s actions related to their Trump Russia investigation.
Last week, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-SC) wrote Sessions and Rosenstein, calling for the same.
Both letters came after Sessions told Fox News that the Justice Department Inspector General — not his prosecutors — would look into any potential DOJ and FBI abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act uncovered by the House Intelligence Committee.
Jeff Sessions: DOJ will open investigation into FISA abuses
Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday that the Justice Department will investigate alleged abuses of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, months after President Trump has argued that the Obama administration used FISA to spy on his transition team.
“Yes, it will be investigated,” Sessions told reporters at the court that oversees FISA warrants.
Sessions said an investigation it is the “appropriate thing” to do so, and that his department’s inspector general “will take that as one of the matters he’ll deal with.”
Sessions told Fox News on Sunday the FISA process will be investigated, and White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday that this move will be supported.
“I think that’s the role of the Department of Justice, and we’re glad that they’re fulfilling that job,” she said.
( Breitbart ) Tom Del Beccaro, an attorney and contributor to Forbes, joined Thursday’s edition of SiriusXM’s Breitbart News Tonight with co-hosts Rebecca Mansour and Joel Pollak to discuss his recently published – and continually updated – timeline of events, entitled “Biased FBI and DOJ Officials Broke the Law and Tried to Decide the Election.”
“The DOJ [and] the entire Obama administration wound down the Hillary email crisis in time for her to really run for office and then ramped up the attacks on candidate Trump to stop him from being president,” said Del Beccaro.
As president, Barack Obama signaled to his administration officials that Hillary Clinton was not to be meaningfully investigated for her felonious use of a private email system during her tenure as secretary of state, said Del Beccaro.
“The FBI was sort of just going through the motions with Hillary, and it’s about March or April, and suddenly the election heats up, and Obama goes on TV, and he says, with Chris Wallace, basically, that she didn’t intend to do anything; she didn’t want to harm us,” said Del Beccaro. “That’s irrelevant to the crime she committed of possessing classified information in an insecure environment. So he announces this, and once he does, the DOJ and the FBI then change their speed [of] work and the manner in which they’re working, the things that they’re doing, and between April and June, they exonerate her, and what I mean by that is they change the language in the memo as to whether she was doing something wrong from ‘gross negligence’ of a crime to … ‘extreme carelessness.’ That’s irrelevant. That’s not legal language: ‘extreme carelessness.’”
Obama’s endorsement of Clinton in May 2016 – while the FBI was ostensibly investigating the former first lady for her handling of classified information and evasion of federal record-keeping laws – suggests the FBI’s running of a “sham investigation” of Clinton’s email conduct, said Del Beccaro.
Obama’s first campaign appearance with Clinton was July 5, 2016, the same day former FBI Director James Comey publicly advised against an indictment of Clinton for criminal handling of classified information.
“Early May, [Obama] endorses her, [and] it’s very rare in our history for a president to endorse in a divided primary within his own party,” said Del Beccaro. “If there wasn’t a sham investigation going on, why would he take a risk endorsing a candidate under investigation by the FBI when on its face she broke the law? His first appearance with her [was] on the afternoon of July 5. You know what happened on the morning of July 5? James Comey goes on TV to exonerate her. This cannot be coincidental.”
“Seems pretty much like they knew what they were doing to me, don’t you think?” asked Del Beccaro, rhetorically.
Read more: Del Beccaro: All Corrupt Roads Lead to Obama
Fox News contributor Sara A. Carter reports DOJ and FBI Director Christopher Wray are pressuring the White House to redact all names in the FISA abuse memo before its release.
The good news is, President Trump said no. The White House told reporters on Thursday the memo will be released without redactions.
The Examiner reported:
President Trump is expected to approve the release of a classified memo spearheaded by the staff of House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes.
According to a Thursday afternoon pool report, a White House official confirmed upon arrival to West Virginia that the president “has read the memo.”
Trump will declassify the controversial four-page memo that reportedly details surveillance abuses by the Department of Justice and FBI, and send it back to House Intelligence for a Friday morning release.
“The president is OK with it,” a senior administration official told reporters. “I doubt there will be any redactions. It’s in Congress’ hands after that.”
Sara Carter tweets:
@FBI Director Christopher Wray and DOJ wants all names redacted from #FISAMemo putting pressure on White House and House Intelligence Committee, Government officials say … is releasing names a threat to national security?
FOX News is now reporting the recovery of the missing FBI text is underway.
Tonight Sean Hannity told his audience he has MULTIPLE SOURCES who confirm the DOJ is retrieving the missing 5-months text messages between FBI lovebirds Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.
#Hannity we can exclusively report that the DOJ has now started & is recovering some of the 5 months of missing text messages from Trump-hating FBI agents Peter Strzok & Lisa Page
ILLEGAL! Top FBI, DOJ Officials Use Drug-Cartel-Style Burner Phones to Dodge Federal Investigators, Lawmakers
- Top FBI and DOJ officials are employing the telecom habits of drug cartel bosses, communicating on disposable phones via text, voice and internet access to encrypted texting apps, FBI insiders confirm.
- Use of such telecom devices as part of official government business violates a host of federal laws
( True Pundit ) Members of the FBI and Justice Department’s top brass at their Washington D.C.headquarters and other field offices are now using burner phones to stay under the radar of federal investigators and lawmakers, according to FBI insiders.
The shocking revelations come on the heels of news that the FBI deleted thousands of text messages between anti-Trump FBI agents before investigators could review their content.
While that is disturbing on one level, FBI and DOJ hierarchy employing the telecom habits of drug cartel bosses reaches a new low for the once-heralded federal law enforcement agency and the DOJ. And breaks federal laws as well.
Intel points to top FBI and DOJ officials communicating via:
- Burner or disposable smart phones purchased with cash and charged with cash or money order
- Encrypted phone and web apps, including SIGNAL employed for anonymous texting
- Phones issued in the name of a spouse or family member, conceivably out of reach of federal subpoenas
Use of such telecom devices as part of official government business violates a host of federal laws, insiders said.
But that hasn’t slowed their use by top law enforcement personnel in the United States.
With many key personnel in the FBI currently under the microscope of the Inspector General — for potential criminal violations — top FBI and DOJ officials are communicating on disposable phones via text, voice and internet access to encrypted texting apps, FBI insiders confirm.
“The IG is aware of this,” one FBI insider said. “They have been up on these guys for a long time.”