- Nunes threatened to take legal action — including contempt proceedings and impeachment — against Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray for failing to produce a clean copy of the memo, known as an electronic communication or EC, that was responsive to an August 2017 committee subpoena.
- Devin Nunes : ” We’re not going to just hold in contempt. We will have a plan to hold in contempt and to impeach … we’re not messing around here.”
( Fox News ) Facing legal action, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein allowed House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., and Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., to view the FBI memo that instigated the bureau’s counterintelligence investigation of contacts between Russia and the Trump campaign, Nunes confirmed on Wednesday.
The meeting came a day after Nunes threatened to take legal action — including contempt proceedings and impeachment — against Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray for failing to produce a clean copy of the memo, known as an electronic communication or EC, that was responsive to an August 2017 committee subpoena.
“Although the subpoenas issued by this Committee in August 2017 remain in effect, I’d like to thank Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein for his cooperation today,” Nunes responded.
When asked on Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle” Tuesday if he would hold the officials in contempt of Congress, Nunes said, “we’re not going to just hold in contempt. We will have a plan to hold in contempt and to impeach … we’re not messing around here.”
A government source told Fox News that Nunes, Gowdy and committee Republican staff were able to view the two-page memo with relatively few redactions. The source described those redactions as “minimal and justified.”
Fox News has previously reported that the memo was either drafted by or had significant input from FBI agent Peter Strzok, who was removed from special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe after the discovery of anti-Trump text messages between him and another FBI official, Lisa Page.
Despite Rosenstein making the minimally redacted version of the memo available, the government source said committee Republicans remained concerned about the memo’s underlying intelligence and the credibility of the sources which would require further investigation.
( Fox News ) President Trump on Saturday dismissed a Democratic rebuttal to the GOP memo outlining government surveillance abuses in the 2016 campaign as a “total political and legal bust,” claiming that it only confirms the ”terrible things” that were done by the nation’s intelligence agencies.
The rebuttal, written by Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, concluded that officials at the FBI and Justice Department “did not abuse the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) process, omit material information or subvert this vital tool to spy on the Trump campaign.”
Democrats sought to counter claims made in a Republican memo released this month that the FBI and DOJ relied on a Democrat-funded anti-Trump dossier to ask the FISA court for a warrant to monitor Trump adviser Carter Page. Democrats have claimed that the Republican memo leaves out important information.
But Trump was unimpressed by the 10-page memo.
Nunes on Democrat Memo Drop: It Proves Dems, Hillary Campaign Colluded with Russians
Breitbart News asked Nunes whether or not anything in what’s been made public points to collusion with the Russians during the 2016 presidential campaign.
“We’ve only seen collusion between the Democratic Party, the Hillary campaign, and the Russians,” Nunes said.
“We have no evidence of the Trump campaign colluded with Russia,” he added.
( Daily Caller ) California Rep. Devin Nunes said that he is willing to release the House Democrat memo during a Friday interview on Fox News with Bret Baier.
“Will you vote to release the Democrat’s memo?” asked Baier.
“Yeah, we will,” responded Rep. Devin Nunes.
“When is that going to happen?” asked Baier.
“It has to go through the same process,” responded Nunes.
“When do you think it will be released?” pressed Baier.
“Hard to say, we haven’t even, I’ve only read through it once. We’re going to have to go through and scrub it again. And let’s not forget, these are the same Democrats who never wanted to start an investigation, these are the same Democrats who blocked our subpoenas back in August, they tried to block our ability to go and get the records from Fusion GPS that lead to a ton of discoveries in this investigation. So, these are not honest actors, they know they’re not being honest actors, and, you know, I get tired of playing whack-a-mole every day with the Democrats on this committee who never wanted to start this investigation in the first place,” said Nunes.
( Daily Caller ) On the same day the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence released the Nunes memo showing the FBI relied on the salacious and unverified Trump dossier to obtain a surveillance warrant on Carter Page, a federal judge ruled to withhold the Comey memos. The memos, authored by former FBI Director James Comey, are about his nine private conversations with President-elect and President Trump.
U.S. District Judge James Boasberg, who ruled in favor of the FBI’s request to keep the Comey memos secret, also sits on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. The FISA court is the same court that approved the surveillance on Trump associates.
Boasberg refused to release the documents on the basis they were still being used by special counsel Robert Mueller in his investigation of the alleged Russian collusion with Trump associates.
The judge ruled, “the Comey Memos, at least for now, will remain in the hands of the Special Counsel and not the public.”
The four-page “FISA memo” alleging surveillance abuse by the FBI, Obama’s administration especially his DOJ, specifically names FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, former FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to the Daily Beast.
On Thursday evening, former FBI Director James Comey fired off another panicked tweet prior to Friday release of FISA abuse memo:
All should appreciate the FBI speaking up. I wish more of our leaders would. But take heart: American history shows that, in the long run, weasels and liars never hold the field, so long as good people stand up. Not a lot of schools or streets named for Joe McCarthy.
Another Obama official in panic mode! Obama’s Attorney General Eric Holder is calling the FISA memo bogus and its release as dangerous. Reason behind such resistance? The FISA memo will reveal the Obama skeletons of abuse and lawlessness.
Eric Holder tweets:
- People must understand what is at stake by release of the bogus, contrived Nunes memo. It uses normally protected material and puts at risk our intell capabilities in order to derail a legitimate criminal investigation. This is unheard of- it is dangerous and it is irresponsible.
- If the Nunes nonsense gets released – unbelievable – then, in some proper way, the Schiff analysis must also be shared with the public. Republicans on the Committee have a duty to the American people that outweighs their desire to protect a corrupt process and individuals.
BREAKING! REP. DEVIN NUNES WILL FINALLY RECEIVE ALL SUBPOENAED DOCS HE REQUESTED FROM FBI & DOJ ABOUT TRUMP-RUSSIA DOSSSIER
Confirmed! Despite of House Speaker Paul Ryan surprise meeting Wednesday with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray about the Russia investigation, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA)announces, before the midnight deadline, that he will receive all of the subpoenaed documents he requested from
#DOJ & #FBI over phony Trump dossier.
Nunes says House Intel has reached an agreement with DOJ regarding documents and witnesses, a list which includes Peter Strzok, Lisa Page and Bruce Ohr.
DOJ BIG LIE! CLAIMED SUBPOENAED DOCS INVOLVING TOP FBI & DOJ OFFICIALS ‘DID NOT EXIST’ – REP. DEVIN NUNES
- DOJ caught lying, initially claimed the documents regarding meetings between the FBI and confidential human sources about the controversial dossier, as well as testimony from key DOJ and FBI officials, “did not exist.”
- GOP Rep. Devin Nunes: “As it turns out, not only did documents exist that were directly responsive to the committee’s subpoenas, but they involved senior DOJ and FBI officials who were swiftly reassigned when their roles in matters under the committee’s investigation were brought to light,” Nunes said.
( Washington Examiner ) House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes on Thursday slammed the Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for their “failure to fully produce” documents related to the Trump dossier, saying that DOJ and the FBI should investigate themselves.
“Unfortunately, DOJ/FBI’s intransigence with respect to the Aug. 24 subpoenas is part of a broader pattern of behavior that can no longer be tolerated,” Nunes wrote in a scathing letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in which he complained about information and witnesses subpoenaed by his committee earlier in 2017
“As a result of the numerous delays and discrepancies that have hampered the process of subpoena compliance, the committee no longer credits the representations made by DOJ and/or the FBI regarding these matters,” Nunes added in the letter obtained by Fox News.
Nunes demanded records and available dates for witnesses to testify be given to Congress by Jan. 3., threatening to introduce a contempt of Congress resolution if his request is not met
The committee is seeking reports regarding meetings between the FBI and confidential human sources about the controversial dossier, as well as testimony from key DOJ and FBI officials.
Nunes also blasted the DOJ’s response to the subpoenas as “disingenuous” because the department initially claimed the documents “did not exist.”
“As it turns out, not only did documents exist that were directly responsive to the committee’s subpoenas, but they involved senior DOJ and FBI officials who were swiftly reassigned when their roles in matters under the committee’s investigation were brought to light,” Nunes said.
The House Intelligence Committee is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.
The dossier compiled by former M16 British spy Christopher Steele contains salacious and unverified allegations of misconduct and collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.