OBAMA’S AIR FORCE ONE: THE HOOK UPS, DRUGS, ‘SUMMER CAMP ON STEROIDS’ – BY STENOGRAPHER BECK DOREY STEIN
- Former White House stenographer Beck Dorey-Stein tells how traveling with President Obama and his press pool was like ‘summer camp on steroids’
- In her upcoming memoir, From Corner of the Oval, Dorey-Stein lifts the lid on her travels on Air Force Once and her affair with a staffer
- Everyone took their drug of choice on long flights: Sonata, Xanax or Ambien – which made ‘awkward intimacy with colleagues suddenly just funny and bizarre,’ she writes
- She broke protocol when she got involved in a hot and heavy sexual relationship with one of Obama’s senior staffers in hotel rooms
- Obama’s traveling staff was almost all women and dubbed ‘the Vagiants’
( Daily Mail ) Beck Dorey-Stein was 25 years old and working five part-time jobs when she serendipitously answered an ad on Craigslist for a stenographer.
Two interviews later, she was offered a job in Barack Obama‘s White House in 2012.
She went from feeling alone in the world to joining a pool of 13 reporters from the White House press corps, traveling with the president and tracking his every move.
Her assignment – with mic in hand – was to record everything the president said, type it up, and release the transcript to the press office and presidential archive.
She also made copious notes on the details of her personal life while traveling to more than 60 countries over five years on Air Force One, and witnessing Obama’s life in midair.
‘Traveling with the president is like summer camp on steroids – a week on the road is like a year at home’, Dorey-Stein writes in her new memoir, From the Corner of the Oval, published by Spiegel & Grau on July 10, 2018.
Read more: EXCLUSIVE: ‘It was like summer camp on steroids.’ White House stenographer lifts lid on President Obama’s Air Force One and reveals how ‘Xanax and Ambien’ on long flights made ‘awkward hookups with colleagues funny and bizarre’